Yes, these courses qualify for mandatory continuing legal education for: National Association of Legal Assistants, State Bar of California, Florida, North Carolina, and Louisiana State Paralegal Association. For all others please check with the corresponding institutions.
ODW2325 – HIPAA & HITECH
This program will enable the participant to understand the breadth and limits of medical record access, provided by both the Health Insurance Portability Act and the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act.
Course Category: On-Demand Webinars
Course Level: Intermediate
CLE Credit: Substantive
CLE Hours: 1.5
Fees: $45 for Members and $65 for Non-members
Course Materials: Webinar recording and a PDF of the PowerPoint slides.
Description: This program will enable the participant to understand the breadth and limits of medical record access, provided by both the Health Insurance Portability Act and the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act.
How can plaintiff firms avoid being required to pay retail price for medical records? What records are available, and how should they be retrieved? Are you better off with a Request for Medical Records or an Authorization for Release? What most benefits your client?
Covered entities will learn what response is required based upon the received Request or Authorization. Is your covered entity compliant, regarding what fees may be charged and how they are determined? Do you adequately safeguard Protected Health Information?
1. Identify and differentiate entities that are required to comply with the HIPAA Privacy Rule;
2. Identify information that is protected by the HIPAA Privacy Rule or HITECH as well as exceptions to this rule;
3. Explain the regulation-specific definition of “”personal representative;””
4. Differentiate Authorizations and Requests;
5. Identify the benefits and burdens of submitting both an Authorization and Request in injury torts and professional negligence matters;
6. Identify what response requirements and time limits apply;
7. Explain the applicability of CIOX v. AZAR to properly formatted HITECH requests
Course Year: 2023
After successfully completing this course a completion email will be sent stating that your certificate is now available. To view your certificate and transcript please visit nala.education. Click on the blue arrow in the top right and select transcript. From this menu, you can view or print certificates or your transcript.
Courses are priced for individual use and consumption and are not intended for rebroadcast and sharing.