All self-study courses qualify for CLE through NALA. For more information on other institutions please click here.
Business Organizations: Incorporated Entities
Course Category: Self-Study Courses
CLE Hours: 20.0
CLE Credit: Substantive
Course Level: Advanced
Fees: $250 for Members and $300 for Nonmembers
Prerequisite: General understanding of contract and agency Law.
Course Materials: Self-study courses typically come with a PDF of the complete textbook, a PDF of the textbook by chapter and a glossary of terms. Once you’ve finished studying, you’ll take the corresponding exams to earn CLE.
This course covers both general concepts and specific techniques used in corporate law, from incorporation to merger or dissolution. The course reviews:
- Agency law
- Business structures
The Business Organizations Incorporated Entities APC course relies on student participation through scenarios, case studies, and internet research. Upon completion of the course, paralegals will have completed exercises involving:
- Incorporation procedures
- Selecting and reserving a corporation’s name
- Documenting the articles of incorporation
- Comparing state and MBCA incorporation filing
- Creating an agenda and meeting notes for the organizational meeting
- Comparing state and MBCA requirements for organizational meetings, meeting notices, and naming the corporation
- Creating a resolutions
- Distinguishing characteristics of stock and bonds
- Comparing SEC and MBCA definitions of “securities”
- Locating and examining SEC forms on EDGAR
- Comparing state statutes and the MBCA approach for: par value requirements, provisions for issuing additional stock, amending the articles of incorporation, methods of acceptable securities registration, location of state securities regulator
- Comparing state blue sky laws to the Uniform Securities Act
- Determining the life stage of publicly traded corporate stock
- Completing a stock history form
- Computing filing fees
- Determining assets, liabilities, and stockholders equity from the balance sheet
- Determining different types of quorums
- Comparing procedures to file state annual reports
- Identifying the use of forward-looking statements and safe harbors
- Examining annual report to shareholders for format and language
- Researching a nonprofit’s status, registration, and tax exempt status
- Setting up an S corporation
- Exploring virtual data rooms
- Checking MBCA requirements for a plan of merger, articles of merger, and a share exchange
- Examining MBCA requirements to revoke the dissolution of a corporation
Reading exercises include review and analysis of current articles on:
- Section 351 Transfer Forms
- Private equity securities
- Securities industry vocabulary
- Google IPO
- Business structures: LLCs, LPs, LLPs, LLLPs
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Due Diligence
- Business courts
Course Year: 2018
After you purchase a self-study course you will receive an enrollment email. If you do not receive an enrollment email please check your spam and make sure you add email@example.com to your safe senders list.
To access course materials after enrollment please click on “My Courses” then “Self-Study” at nala.education.
Self-Study courses expire after 1 year.
Courses are priced for individual use and consumption and are not intended for rebroadcast and sharing.
Refunds or Cancellations
No cancellations or refunds are provided.
If available, you may use the print function from your browser to print the material. This is copyrighted material and any distribution is strictly prohibited. Not all self-study courses have printable material.
No, a textbook is either included or not necessary for the self-study courses.
No, the courses are designed as continuing education courses and may qualify as meeting continuing education requirements for professional certifications and attorney licenses. In addition, the courses may be used in the classroom to supplement formal training. However, the courses are not designed to take the place of formal paralegal training as may be available through a community college or university.