Preparing for the Exam-Exam Format & Specifications
The Certified Paralegal examination will consist of two required sections taken in the following order:
• Knowledge Exam
- The Knowledge Exam will consist of multiple choice questions covering the topic areas listed in Appendix A.
- The Knowledge Exam will be administered on-demand, year-round at testing centers with preliminary result reporting upon completion.
- Candidates must successfully complete the Knowledge Exam in order to be eligible to take the Skills Exam.
- Three (3) hours testing time.
• Skills Exam
- The Skills Exam will consist of a written assignment; specifications are set forth in Appendix A.
- The Skills Exam will be administered during four testing windows each year: February, April, July, and October.
- Two (2) hours testing time.
Successful completion of both the Knowledge and Skills Exams is required to obtain the Certified Paralegal credential.
|Knowledge Exam||100 points|
|1||United States Legal System||15|
|1.A||Sources of Law|
|2.B||Federal Rules of Civil Procedure|
|3.A||Formation, Rights, and Duties|
|3.B||Enforcement and Defenses|
|4.B||Rights and Responsibilities|
|5||Criminal Law and Procedure||5|
|6||Estate Planning and Probate||5|
|6.A||Estates and Trusts|
|7||Real Estate and Property||10|
|7.A||Property Rights and Ownership|
|9||Professional and Ethical Responsibility||15|
|9.A||American Bar Association (ABA) Model Rules of Prof. Conduct|
|9.B||Unauthorized Practice of Law|
|Skills Exam||30 points|
|1.A||Grammar, Spelling, and Punctuation||6|
|1.B||Clarity of Expression||6|
|2.A||Reading and Comprehension||6|
|2.B||Analysis of Information||6|