2022 NALA Election
VOICE OF OUR VOTERS
NALA has continued to grow and prosper simply because our members are involved and invested in the growth of the paralegal profession. NALA is a membership organization. This means that the individual voices of our members matter greatly.
2022 DECLARATION OF CANDIDACY
If you are passionate about the paralegal field and want to impact the future of NALA, a Board position might be the right fit for you. The NALA Board of Directors recognizes the importance of exceptional board leadership and believes that a strong and effective board is needed for continual success in reaching its mission (“Advancing paralegals through certification and professional development”). Our Board members are active advocates and ambassadors for the organization and for the paralegal profession.
On behalf of the Board, the Nomination Committee extends an invitation to qualified members to get involved in your GREAT association. Serving on the Board is a rewarding, gratifying, and enjoyable way to be engaged in your association.
Active type members who wish to declare themselves as candidates for the 2022 NALA Election must complete and submit the Declaration of Candidacy Form. Completed forms must be received at NALA Headquarters no later than March 15, 2022, to qualify. Information about the duties associated with each open position is below:
- VICE PRESIDENT: The Vice President is responsible for special projects as delegated by the President or the Board, sits on the Executive Committee, and assumes responsibilities of the President in the President’s absence. The Vice President focuses on membership issues including membership solicitation programs, ensures that the membership application review, and approval process is in compliance with the membership qualifications as outlined in the NALA bylaws. The Vice President is elected by the membership and serves a term of one year from election.
- SECRETARY: The Secretary is responsible for the integrity of Board documents, provides accurate minutes of board meetings, oversees mail votes conducted for the Board, and sits on the Executive Committee. The secretary is elected by the membership, and serves a term of one year from election.
- TREASURER: The Treasurer submits recommended policies to the Board concerning financial planning and budgeting, approves all Board expenses for payment, serves as chair of NALA’s budget committee which develops a budget for each fiscal year, presents financial reports to the Board and membership, and sits on the Executive Committee. The Treasurer is elected by the membership, and serves a term of one year from election.
- AREA DIRECTORS: (3 seats open): Each of the directors are elected by Active type NALA members and serve two‐year terms with a maximum of two consecutive terms. Directors report regularly to the Board of Directors on notable activity occurring within their area.
- After verification of your eligibility to run, you will receive question(s) via email that must be answered and returned to NALA. Your response will be published on the website with your candidate profile.
- All eligible candidates will be required to submit a 3-minute video explaining why they want to serve on the NALA Board. Instructions on submitting the video will be provided.
- Responses to the questions and video are due by March 31, 2022. If NALA does not receive these items by March 31, 2022, you will be removed from the slate of candidates.
- All eligible candidates will be invited to participate in a virtual Candidate Forum on June 15, 2022, at 2:00 p.m. Central Time. Each candidate will be provided the opportunity to make a brief 1-2-minute presentation and then field questions from the forum participants. The Forum will be recorded.
- All eligible candidates will be invited to participate in an in-person Candidate Forum the evening of July 13, 2022, at the NALA Conference & Expo in Phoenix, Arizona. Each candidate will be provided the opportunity to make a brief 2-3-minute presentation and then field questions from the forum participants. This Forum will be streamed live. Conference attendance is encouraged but not required. Please note that if you are elected, your first board meeting will occur during conference.
ABOUT THE VOTING PROCESS
All voting for Board of Directors candidates and bylaw changes will be cast BEFORE the Annual Membership Meeting held at the July conference. We will be using a vote-submit-confirm process. Your vote will not officially count until you have confirmed your vote. Only Active type members in good standing forty-five (45) days prior to the annual meeting shall be qualified to vote.
Voting will take place online from the convenience of your office, home, or cell phone until 9:30 am CT on July 14, 2022. Election results will be announced during the Annual Membership Meeting at Conference on July 14, 2022.