- About NALA
- About Paralegals
- Affiliated Associations
- Career Center
- Advanced Paralegal Certification
- Certified Paralegal Program
- For Certified Paralegals
- For Examinees
- Application-Documentation Required
- Application-Exam Policies
- Application-Qualifications, Policies & Procedures, and Fees
- Preparing for the Exam-Exam Format & Specifications
- Preparing for the Exam-Practice Tests
- Preparing for the Exam-Suggested Study Material
- Testing Centers-NonPSI
- Testing Centers-Overview/Policies
- Testing Centers-PSI
- Join NALA
First Administration – Knowledge Exam
The first administration of the Knowledge Exam will be offered during a 30-day window with 150 items. This administration will be used for post-administration analysis, scoring, and standard setting. For this session, results will not be available upon completion but will be provided once the analysis, scoring, and standard setting has been completed.
- 100 items will be scored (determined after administration).
- 50 items will be pretested for statistical analysis (determined after administration) but will not be scored.
- 3.75 hours testing time (90 seconds per item) will be provided for this one-time testing session.
Subsequent Administrations – Knowledge Exam
When the examination opens for year-round testing, 120 items will be included on each Knowledge Exam.
- 100 items will be scored.
- 20 items will be pretested for statistical analysis.
- 3 hours testing time (90 seconds per item) will be provided for all subsequent Knowledge Exams.
- Result reporting will be available upon completion with on-demand testing year-round.
Withdrawal, Incomplete, or Rejected Applications
If an applicant must withdraw the application: payment is nonrefundable and the application and supporting documentation will not be returned.
If an application is incomplete or rejected: payment is nonrefundable and the application and supporting documentation will not be returned.
Americans with Disability Act
The Certified Paralegal examination is administered in compliance with requirements of the Americans With Disabilities Act. All special requests must accompany the application form. Click here to download special accommodations form. Examinees qualifying for special accommodations under the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act must attend a PSI testing center.
An individual’s application status, exam results, and personal identifying information is confidential and will not be released by NALA to any person without the consent of the individual or as required by law, except to exam proctors as required for administration of the exam.
NALA does not discriminate against applicants based on race, color, creed, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, sexual orientation, marital status, or family status.