- About NALA
- About Paralegals
- Affiliated Associations
- Career Center
- Join NALA
Legal Secretary - posted 1/18/19
Legal Secretary - posted 1/18/19
American Family Insurance
Legal Office Support (35%)
- Receives and responds to all types of inquiries, relays messages, processes walk-ins and retrieves files upon request.
- Composes letters independently or at the direction of an attorney or paralegal.
- Manages attorneys' calendars, including court and other file-related appearances, appointments, internal and external meetings. Schedules and coordinates tasks for attorneys, paralegals and themselves for future file-related activities and monitors the progress of those activities.
- Performs mail handling and distribution functions. Screens and responds to incoming mail to relay and clarify information, coordinate attorney and paralegal activities, and otherwise facilitate file handling.
- Transcribes correspondence, legal pleadings and arbitration documents, legal briefs, affidavits, discovery documents, recorded statements, investigation reports, form letters, rough drafts, special project letters and agendas.
- Works with attorneys and paralegals to ensure delivery of documents, evidentiary exhibits, and other items to courts, opposing counsel, experts and others.
- Performs necessary department filing and file maintenance functions. Performs all the functions necessary to physically close a file including the boxing and shipping files for storage.
Trial Support (30%)
- Assembles, organizes, catalogs, and maintains medical records, employment records, and other exhibits needed in the defense of the file.
- Contacts and schedules opposing counsel, witnesses, experts, court reporters, clients, and others necessary for the coordination of investigation, discovery, depositions, meetings, independent medical examinations and trials.
- Ensures delivery of documents, evidentiary exhibits, and other items to courts, opposing counsel, experts, and others.
- Reviews and summarizes documentary material including depositions, hearing or trial transcripts, medical records, other exhibits or records; prepares indexes, chronologies, catalogs, and lists; and prepares or assists in the preparation of demonstrative evidence for trial.
- Completes documents such as subpoenas and authorizations, composes appropriate correspondence for transmission of documents, confirms scheduled matters, tracks and ensures compliance with discovery demands and other requests for information.
Technical Activities (20%)
- Maintains case management system entries for all required fields. *Creates templates to be used in case management system.
- Performs administrative duties for case management system. Serves as liaison to I/S regarding computer related issues and advises users of any updates concerning the case management system.
- Organizes file materials into appropriate categories.
- Uses electronic legal database and case management system to answer general questions from attorneys, agents, etc. Administration (10%)
- Performs document assembly activities.
- Performs backup functions for Legal Services Manager when he/she is unavailable.
- Assists in answering job related questions.
- Assists in training of unit employees.
- Performs payment and credit functions on files. Information Management (5%)
- Effectively uses case and expense management systems required for creation, maintenance and disposition of files or other matters in the Legal Department.
- Follows and complies with business process and procedures.
Requirements or Qualifications:
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements: *Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service *Demonstrated experience performing legal support duties including interacting with members of the judiciary, opposing and co-counsel, clients, and expert and lay witnesses. *Demonstrated experience with various PC software applications (e.g. Microsoft Office Suites, Internet Explorer, Outlook, Acrobat, FrontPage). *Demonstrated experience working with confidential documents and situations. *Demonstrated experience writing and proofreading legal documents for proper grammar and spelling. *Keyboarding/typing ability at 45 wpm required. *Solid knowledge and understanding of legal procedures, legal terminology, and the judicial system. *Solid knowledge and understanding of legal ethics rules and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
To apply online: https://amfam.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/Careers/job/AF-AZ-Phoenix-Office/Legal-Assistant_R10927
Application Due Date:
February 01 2019